The inspiring recovery story of medal honor marine hero


This is the unbelievable story of Kyle Carpenter who was severely injured when he jumped on an explosive grenade just to save his fellow Marine. When no one thought there was any hope for Kyle and that he wouldn’t make it alive, he managed to find his inner strength and start his long and windy journey to recovery.

Kyle Carpenter

When Lance Corporal Kyle Carpenter completed his training at a Marine Corps base in North Carolina he knew it was just the beginning of a long and tiring, but very satisfying service. Little did he know that his life would change forever after he was deployed to Marjah, Helmand Province in Afghanistan to serve a s Squad Automatic Weapon gunner. When he was stationed at the base camp in Helmand Province, he never imagined that one day he would become a national hero.


The call on November 21, 2010

By taking one look a the scars on Kyle Carpenter’s face, you can tell that there is a much deeper story behind that man than meets the eye. The unbelievable array of severe injuries that he has suffered from have a mark not only on his face, but on his soul, marks that would last a lifetime. It was on November 21, 2010 that Kyle’s family had received a phone call from a Marine Corps representative that left them speechless. They knew something bad had happened to their beloved son, but what they never expected what the future had in store for their family.

the call

Without hesitation

When Lance Corporal Carpenter joined the marines, he knew that his life was not dedicated to service and his country. He knew he would have to face the most unrealistic settings and would have to face unreasonable consequences. He went in wholeheartedly and his actions on November 21 prove that he is one courageous man. Kyle joined his squad to fight off the enemies in a small village. When a grenade was thrown at him and his fellow Marine, Nick Eufrazi, and landed right next to them, he literally threw himself, without hesitation, in front of his friend to protect him from the explosive grenade.


Catch a grenade

With his thick body, Corporal Kyle Carpenter lunged at the grenade while fighting off a Taliban attack, and within a few seconds his life turned around. He was lying wounded on his back on a Marjah rooftop and being unconscious, he had no idea how severely he was wounded. Although he was wearing a body armor, the injuries from the exploding bomb left his face shredded, wounded his skull, had his right arm splintered and lost some sight in one of his eyes. It’s safe to say that his wounds were there to stay forever. Lying inside a plume of smoke, Kyle had no idea what was happening.


A selfless act

You are being taught many things in your service, but this kind of a selfless act, probably the most selfless act that anyone could ever do, is not something that someone teaches you or something you can read in the books. It is innate in you. It’s the kind of stuff you are brought up with. It all comes from your home environment, your parents, your friends and your inner selfless self. What Kyle Carpenter did in order to protect his friend from the blast was pure heroism.


He didn’t have a blast

His selfless act would later earn him a Medal of Honor. The kind of medal that is only handed out to those whose actions and personal deeds of bravery are way beyond what the call of duty asks of one soldier. In fact, it’s the highest military honor that the nation holds. When Kyle was brutally injured, he was 21 years old. He had just recently graduated from high school and in many aspects was still a young boy. You can only imagine how worried his parents were when they received that horrifying phone call. Their worst nightmare was about to come true.

Screen Shot 2017-06-08 at 12.54.39 PM

What were his chances?

For days, long seven days, Carpenter’s family had no idea the extent of their son’s wounds. The only thing they knew was that Kyle had been evacuated in a critical condition from Afghanistan and that they don’t what his chances are at survival. Kyle’s mom and dad had received endless of phone calls, emails and voicemails but were still kept in the dark regarding his condition. 4 days after the incident, on Thanksgiving Day, they drove to Walter Reed National Military Medical Center in Maryland, to wait for their son to arrive. However, Jim and Robin Carpenter had to wait longer than expected as the flight was delayed because due to the blood clots that were formed in his legs, flying at such a high altitude would have killed Kyle.

Screen Shot 2017-06-08 at 12.55.31 PM

Momma’s boy

Robin knew she was going to see a different Kyle when he finally arrived at the Medical Center on November 28. She expected the worse and she was right to expect the worst. Kyle was literally unrecognizable. His head was double its regular size after he underwent brain surgery. Tubes were coming out of everywhere. Robin, who was used to seeing the worse as she worked as in a trauma hospital, thought she had seen it all, until she saw her own son. She was by his side until he was taken to intensive care.

Screen Shot 2017-06-08 at 12.55.01 PM


Everything seemed safe for the squad of Marines team when they patrolled the open canals just a day earlier. It was in fact safer than taking the roads. The men were already four months into their service and some of them had already witnessed the worst. One of the men was Private First Class Jared Lilly who had two of his Marine fellows killed in attacks. Lily took his one thousand man squad they took over a compound in the village to be their patrol base. They called the location Dakota.

Screen Shot 2017-06-08 at 12.56.12 PM

The deadly message

Although there were walls at the Dakota Base, the enemy could still move around the area without having the Marines notice them. Before sunrise, there was already a line of more than 200 sandbags serving as guard posts. The former owner of the compound came to the take some of his belongings and deliver a message to the team. A message that would have anyone be shaken off. He told them that the next day they would be attacked in the worst possible way.


Shout it from the rooftop

Then, with the break of dawn, the soldiers at Patrol Base Dakota really had the worst coming their way. A cannonade of grenades just started exploding all over the area. Not knowing what was happening at first, the squad soon put on their gear and screamed ‘An Afghan soldier had been wounded’. The last explosion was coming from the rooftop where two soldiers were known to be found there.

Screen Shot 2017-06-08 at 12.55.57 PM


Without hesitation, Lilly quickly ran up to the roof just to find Lance Corporal Nick Eufrazio, the man Kyle was protecting from the grenade, lying on his back appearing unconscious. On the other corner there was Kyle facing the floor lying in a pool of blood. The image of Carpenter’s face when Lily found him, will never be erased from Lily’s memory. His face was literally torn into four different bits of flesh. Lily couldn’t breath until he heard his soldier gasp for breath and he knew he was still alive.


Am I going to die?’

Christopher Frend, who was the team’s Navy medical member, had seen quite a few casualties in the past, to say the least. However, he had never ever seen a severe case like Carpenter’s. The soldier’s arm was in such a bad condition that he was scared it would fall off. His right eye almost fell out of its socket and it was all one big mess. The medical team noticed Carpenter was trying to speak and when they got closer they heard him ask ‘am I going to die?’. They Marines did what they knew was the best idea and started talking to Kyle about his family in order to keep him stable.

kyle-carpenter-afghanistan (1)


Lily and four of his men carried the wounded soldiers all the way to the landing zone where the medical evacuation helicopter was going to land. Lily, who thought he would never see his soldier alive again, started tearing up while others started to clean the blood off his skin. It was a tragic moment indeed. On the helicopter, a whole different drama was happening. Carpenter’s heart suddenly stopped and the medical team was working on reviving him. By the time they arrived at Camp Bastion, the admission code that was given to Kyle was P.E.A – Patient Expired Upon Arrival.

Screen Shot 2017-06-08 at 12.55.50 PM

He just needed to stay alive

Everyone, all the medical teams, were working on Kyle’s recovery. From Neurosurgeons who removed fragments of the explosive from his brain to Vascular surgeons repairing his arteries and plastic surgeries working on his torn flesh. They had one mission and one mission only, and that was to get Carpenter stable enough so he could fly to Germany and from there to the U.S. All he needed was to stay alive. That was Kyle’s new mission.


The race to his heart

It was on Thanksgiving Day that Kyle was in a stable condition to fly off to Germany. When he finally landed in Landstuhl, Robin was then able to talk to her son over the phone. Kyle was in a temporary coma and wasn’t very aware of his surrounding. However, a local nurse allowed Kyle speak to his family by placing the phone to his ear so he could hear his family. His heart was literally racing when he heard his mom’s voice.


The other soldier

After Carpenter’s blood clots had dissolved, allowing him to fly again, he was wheeled on the airplane that would take him back to his family, to his country. There was another soldier on board – sergeant, Ryan Craig. Ryan’s mom, Jennifer was in Germany for almost a week with her son, but that wasn’t good news for her as blood relatives are usually taken to Landstuhl when the patient’s condition is considered terminal.

Screen Shot 2017-06-08 at 12.55.31 PM

Going to Germany

Jennifer Miller, Ryan’s mom recalls getting a few phone calls: ‘I got a call at 5:22 a.m. from somebody in Afghanistan who said Ryan was hurt..They didn’t give me many details . . . . that my son’s injuries were not life-threatening. At 8 a.m. they told us about a gunshot to the helmet. By 11:30 a.m., . . . they told us the bullet hit his head, but didn’t penetrate. . . . . At 2:30 p.m., they told me they’d removed part of his skull. By 5 p.m., I was going to Germany.’


‘You’re going home’

Jennifer assumed that her trip to Germany meant only one thing and that was to give her approval to remove Craig from life support. However, there was still hope for her son. Jennifer had one important job on when she was on the plane and that was to be for just afew hours Carpenter’s mom. Although he was unconscious, Jennifer was saying to Kyle: ‘I’m not your mom, but I am a mom. We’re going back to the United States. You’re going home.’.

Screen Shot 2017-06-08 at 12.56.59 PM

The long way home

It was a 12 hour flight, and it wasn’t all smooth, but both Carpenter and Craig made it alive and survived the risky flight. They were loaded in Delaware into ambulances. Both soldiers started their hard and long journey to recovery, only this time they were home. Police cars blocked off the intersections to allow the two ambulances pass freely toward Walter Reed Medical Center. Nick Eufrazio, the soldier Carpenter was trying to save, was ialso injured and was already treated at the center.



You can only imagine the anticipation mixed with anxiety that Robin and Jim were experiencing while waiting anxiously to see their son. As the ambulance arrived, they rushed to the parking. There was one other woman there and that Tiffany Aguiar, Nick Eufrazio’s friend. When she saw Kyle, she couldn’t move or breath. His face was barely visible and whatever was exposed was unrecognizable. She recalls: ‘The image of a mother seeing her son come back from war like that is something that doesn’t leave you.’



When Kyle arrived at the Medical Center, the doctors who evaluated his condition didn’t know if his immune system would be able to survive one more treatment. Before they came up with a treatment plan, Kyle had to go under numerous x-rays. Dr. Debra Malone, the chief of trauma surgery at Walter Reed said: ‘There’s no recipe book for combat trauma or medicine..Someone can be stable and their wounds can look clean, and a few seconds, minutes, hours, or days later, things can look very different. It’s a difficult thing to explain to patients and their families. It’s not a journey on a flat paved asphalt road; it’s a journey through a treacherous mountainous path.’


They decided to save it

Carpenter’s family knew that that their son was going to have a long journey to recovery. With more than 30 fractures and broken bones, the one thing Robin feared the most was that the doctors would have to amputate. However, Dr. Malone assured her that they were not going to take his arm, ‘We’re going to save it.’ The waiting room had become Robin’s second home. Jim on the other hand had to go back to his job and to to take care of Kyle’s two teenage brothers.


Baby steps

Kyle needed much resilience and a lot of patience in order to recover fully. He was in surgery on a weekly basis having surgeons working in repairing his bones and others working on his face. As a way to keep up the morale, the medical team focused more on the small successes of the surgeries and their treatments rather than on the whole recovery. The amount of surgeries and laster treatments that Kyle had to go through was unbelievable.


Internal scars

Apart from the surgical issues, there were also the psychological aspects that had to be dealt with. The scars were not only visible, but they were also internal. Dr. Malone recalls visiting Carpenter back in 2011 ‘I think it was the first time since his injury that he was talking to me with a clear mind..other Marines would always come in to visit him and he didn’t like them seeing him how he looked. It wasn’t that Kyle seemed self-conscious. He knew they were deploying to Afghanistan soon, and he didn’t want them to worry more about being injured like he had been.’


His first step

Dr. Malone was there when Kyle took his first steps at the hospital. As heroic as Carpenter was in the battlefield, he had the same internal strengths and motivation outside. ‘When a wounded warrior is about to get out of bed for the first time,’ she said, “everybody knows it is going to happen. We line the hallway and when they step out of their room we ring a bell and cheer.’ The brave soldier was in the greatest pain of his life but he kept on walking.

Screen Shot 2017-06-08 at 12.57.20 PM

Life for Kyle

Kyle made incredible progression at Walter Reed and things were starting to look hopeful for the young soldier. His dad didn’t think at first that his son could ever have his life back nor have any sort of a good life. However he saw how dedicated the staff at Walter Reed was trying to be hopeful that his son wouldn’t be bound to a wheelchair for the rest of his life. His son was coming back to him as the days went by.


Everyone loved him

Lily, who found Carpenter after he was injured made the trip to Maryland all the way from North Carolina. Things have dramatically changed since that bloody incident on the rooftop in the small village in Afghanistan. Jared Lily had a mix of emotions leading up to his meeting with Kyle. ‘Kyle was like the lovable little brother…He was the guy that everybody wanted to be friends with and he was really nice to everyone, but he was also someone who really enjoyed being by himself.’ Kyle expected the worse before he saw Kyle.


Will he ever smile again?

In order to restore his face, the medical team relied heavily on imaging technologies to reconstruct his face. His injuries were so severe that alongside technology, they also needed some faith. The missing tissue and scarring on Kyle’s face needed a lot of streching before teeth could be embeded in his mouth. The only thing the doctors and Kyle’s family were hoping for was that Carpenter would get his smile back. That he could simply be able to smile.


Dr. Julie Durnford

As the years went by, Kyle was spending more and more time at home and not at the hospital. He met on a regular basis with Dr. Julie Durnford, an occupational therapist who recalls many touching moment throughout her treatment. She remembered how excited she was when Kyle was able to scratch his nose for the first time. He was the first combat soldier she had treated, and he was definitely unique in his own special way. She has never met anyone like Kyle before.


An inspiring man

His injuries were challenging and I had been a therapist for 20 years..He couldn’t function normally by any means. He always told me he wanted his arms to get better so he could stay in the military. He always looked exhausted by how hard he worked to recover. When he took any breaks during therapy he would try to motivate the old ladies with broken wrists or hips. And he always, always made time to speak with any World War II, Korea, or Vietnam veterans who came into the clinic. Always.’


Youngest Medal of Honor Recipient

When Kyle’s parents received a phone call from the former President, President Obama, they couldn’t hold their emotional excitement. They were told that William “Kyle” Carpenter, their 24-year-old son would be awarded with the Medal of Honor, the highest military award in the U.S. Kyle was awarded on June 19, 2014 with everyone including his family, his friends, his medical teams and his squad. He was wearing a prosthetic eye and when Obama placed the Medal of Honor around his neck, there was not one dry eye in the audience.



Carpenter remained so humble all this time. He has every reason to be proud of himself and his heroic acts. He jumped on an explosive grenade just to save another’s Marine’s life, survived it, had an incredible recovery journey and was awarded with an Medal of Honor. In fact he is the youngest living Medal of Honor recipient: ‘ When the grenade detonated, his body absorbed the brunt of the blast, severely wounding him, but saving the life of his fellow Marine. By his undaunted courage, bold fighting spirit, and unwavering devotion to duty in the face of almost certain death, Lance Corporal Carpenter reflected great credit upon himself and upheld the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and the United States Naval Service.’


A real life hero

The 27-year-old hero has been doing incredibly well ever since that day in Afghanistan. He has run marathons and even skydived. He is now a full time student and also serves as a public speaker for service issues. For example, he likes to speak about how veterans can become a part of society and integrate better. Kyle’s mom, Robin recalls what her son told her in the past: ‘If I don’t do this, it will be someone else’s son’.